Potato & Chutney Stuffed Grilled Cheese
We love this chaat samosa grilled cheese as it’s a fusion dish that combines the flavors of Indian chaat with the classic American grilled cheese sandwich. It consists of a grilled cheese sandwich filled with a mix of samosa ingredients such as potatoes, peas and a variety of spices. The result is a unique and flavorful sandwich that combines the comfort of grilled cheese with the bold flavors of Indian chaat and samosa.
SERVINGS: 4 | PREP TIME: 15 min | COOK TIME: 25 min
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup defrosted frozen peas (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 large potatoes
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices of cheese (we recommend cheddar or classic American cheese)
- 1 cup cilantro chutney
- 4 tbsp Chaat Party Spice Mix
- Boil peeled potatoes in salted water until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced onions and cook until translucent.
- Lower the heat and add the grated garlic and Chaat Party. Mix well for 1 minute.
- Add the boiled potatoes to the skillet, season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir until well combined.
- Using a potato masher or fork, gently smash the potatoes.
- If using, add the boiled or microwaved peas to the potato mixture and set aside.
- To assemble the grilled cheese, heat the same skillet over medium heat and add butter.
- Place 2 slices of bread in the skillet and layer each with chutney, 2 slices of cheese, and the potato mixture. Top each with another slice of bread.
- Use a spatula to gently press down the sandwich and cook until both sides are golden brown. Cover with a lid for a few minutes to help melt the cheese faster.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients until you have 4 grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Serve hot with more chutney or Chaat raita on the side.