Our Grandma's Secret Revealed: MAA'sala Chicken - The Dish You'll Keep Coming Back To
Get ready to taste the magic of Maa'sala Chicken, a dish so irresistible it made us create Droosh. Passed down from our vegetarian grandma, Maa, who defied her own meat aversion to bring this culinary masterpiece to life every weekend. Now, it's time for you to experience the deliciousness for yourself. Prepare to be wowed by this quick and easy recipe that will leave you wanting more. Best enjoyed with basmati rice, naan, or roti. We can't wait for you to enjoy!
SERVINGS: 4 | PREP TIME: 15 min | COOK TIME: 30 min
- 4 large chicken thighs or 2 large chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (garlic paste works)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (ginger paste works)
- 1.5 cups plain Greek yogurt of choice
- 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or ghee
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 3-4 tbsp Icon Spice Mix
Our fave: The Greek Gods plain traditional Greek yogurt
- Mix yogurt, Icon Spice Mix, garlic, ginger, juice of 1 lemon, oil or ghee, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Cut slits into the chicken breasts and place them in a Ziploc bag or container. Pour the yogurt mixture over the chicken and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Transfer the marinated chicken to a baking dish and bake for 20-30 minutes until fully cooked. (Cooking times may vary.) Alternatively, you can cube the chicken and pan fry it on medium-high heat for 15 minutes or grill it over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side. Move the chicken away from the direct flame and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish the cooked chicken with cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve with naan, roti, or basmati rice.
- If you prefer a dairy-free version, skip the yogurt.
- Adjust the amount of Icon Spice Mix based on your preferred level of spice.
- When pan frying, add a splash of water to prevent the spices from drying out.