Mac n' Cheese: The Droosh Way
Droosh's Mac and Cheese is a fusion dish that combines the creamy and cheesy goodness of classic mac and cheese with the classic Indian flavors so many love. This recipe is a great way to add some excitement to your mac and cheese, and is sure to be a hit with both kids and adults.
SERVINGS: 6 | PREP TIME: 15 min | COOK TIME: 30 min
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chilis, seeded and chopped
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gouda cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 boxes of elbow macaroni or shell pasta (about 12 oz)
- Salt & pepper
- 4 tbsp Tikka Masala Spice
- Heat oil/ghee in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, tomato paste, and serranos; season with 1 tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden and beginning to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant and the ginger starts to turn golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water and Tikka Masala Spice and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then add the tomatoes, breaking them up into pieces with a spoon, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced by half and the tomatoes are very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth, then pour back into the pan.
- Pour the heavy cream, cheddar, and gouda cheese into the sauce mixture in the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cheeses melt, about 3 minutes. Season the sauce with salt, to taste. Decrease the heat to low to keep the sauce warm.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Mix in the tikka masala sauce until well combined.
- Either serve right away or transfer to a baking dish, top with more cheese, and broil for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Top with chopped cilantro leaves (optional) and enjoy!