Droosh's Everyday Chana Masala - Easy, Healthy and Delicious!
Discover the cozy and flavorful Indian dish, Chana Masala, made with chickpeas simmered in a spicy onion-tomato gravy. With the addition of our Everyday Spice, this dish is easy to prepare and tastes just as authentic as if Maa herself had made it. Satisfy your cravings for a hearty, healthy, and protein-packed meal that will warm you up and leave you with a satisfied smile.
SERVINGS: 4 | PREP TIME: 10 min | COOK TIME: 25 min
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 serrano chilis, chopped (remove seeds if you prefer less spice)
- 1 28-oz can pureed tomatoes or 4 tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp Everyday Spice Mix
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute, then add onion and let caramelize for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add serrano chilis, salt, 1 tbsp Everyday Spice, garlic, ginger, and juice of 1/2 lemon to the pan. Cook, stirring until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and season with salt, pepper, and 1/2-1 tbsp Everyday Spice. Cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water, let boil and cook for about 3 minutes, then cover pan and simmer until chickpeas are tender and sauce is flavorful, about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, adjust seasoning as needed, and top with cilantro and juice of 1/2 lemon. Serve with rice, roti, or naan.
- Garnish with green onion, if desired.
- For a creamier curry, start with 1/3 cup heavy cream or coconut milk and add more as desired.