Icon Tofu & Peppers
Serena here. So I made this recipe by accident. I had a block of tofu that was sitting in my fridge for months and knew I had to use it before it spoiled, so I drained it, cubed it up and let it marinate in Droosh spices, bread crumbs, garlic, ginger and lemon.
IDK what happened but it wasn’t as crispy as I wanted it to be as I pan fried it. Anyways… it became more of a soft texture and was delicious with rice and greens. However, this dish is amazing when eaten cold.
I didn't intend for this recipe to be eaten cold, but the next day I was in a time crunch and needed lunch so I ate a spoonful from the container (oops) and I was shook at how delicious it was. I ate it topped on crunchy lettuce wraps and it was so addicting. I just couldn’t believe how flavorful and appealing the texture was when eaten cold.
So yeah, you can eat this warm, but I clearly loved it cold. It’s not too heavy and kept me full until dinner!
SERVINGS: 4 | PREP TIME: 10 min | COOK TIME: 20 min
- 1 package extra firm tofu cubed
- 1tbsp garlic minced
- 1tbsp ginger minced
- 1tbsp olive oil or 1tsp ghee
- 1/2 cup panko, cornstarch or flour (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp Icon Spice Mix
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 lemon
- Prep by draining and pressing your tofu for at least 30 minutes or overnight
- Chop all ingredients and set aside
- In a bowl add cubed tofu, 1 tbsp Icon Spice Mix, salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, panko or flour if using, 1tsp olive oil, juice of 1/2 lemon and combine
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan on medium-high and add cumin seeds, sauté for 2 minutes or until cumin seeds begin to pop
- Add in onions, chopped bell peppers, and salt & pepper to taste. Sauté for 5 minutes
- Add seasoned tofu, stir for 2 minutes then season with additional 1 tbsp Icon Spice Mix; adjust taste as needed and let cook stirring occasionally for 5 min
- Add in chopped tomato, stir, lower heat and cook for 5-8 minutes
- Add the rest of the lemon juice, mix
- Serve with rice, naan, in a salad, in lettuce wraps or on it's own!
- If you prefer your tofu more crispy, air fry it on 350° for 10 minutes then add to pan after sautéing veggies
- This is delicious served chilled! Let refrigerate for at least 1 hour before eating