Flavorful Veggie Rice
Indian rice pulao, also known as pilaf, is a popular rice dish in Indian cuisine that's nutritious and delicious. It consists of rice cooked with a variety of spices and vegetables, creating a flavorful and aromatic dish. Pulao can be enjoyed on its own or as a side dish and it’s one of our favorite, easy dishes to make on repeat.
SERVINGS: 6 | PREP TIME: 10 min | COOK TIME: 25 min
1 cup basmati rice*
- 2 cups water
- 1 serrano chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed veggies (such as peas, carrots, and corn)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped potatoes, peeled
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 4 whole cloves (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or ghee**
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 a lemon
- Salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp Everyday Spice Mix
- Rinse and drain rice and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil or ghee in a deep pan or pot. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, and chopped serrano pepper. Cook for a few minutes then add onions and continue cooking.
- Add the frozen veggies, salt, pepper, ginger and garlic into the pan and continue cooking until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add in the rice and 2 tbsp of Everyday Spice Mix and sauté for about 30 seconds to toast the rice.
- Add three cups of water, another tablespoon of Everyday Spice and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook for about 12 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Turn off the heat once the rice is cooked and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, fluff with a fork and garnish with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of half a lemon.
- *For a keto-friendly version, replace the 1 cup of basmati rice with 1 1/2 cups of cooked cauliflower rice.
- **For a vegetarian version, use ghee instead of oil.
- Use vegetable broth instead of water for added flavor.